There is little I love more than sleeping in on the weekend. More so on Saturdays than Sundays. Waking up late on Saturdays feels refreshing and enlivening while waking up late on Sundays feels slightly overwhelming, as the forthcoming week looms before you. But no matter if you’re enjoying a long relaxing brunch on Saturday or looking forward to one last weekend treat before buckling down and preparing for the week ahead, these amazingly delicious baked egg boats are the perfect weekend brunch.
– Sourdough baguettes from Buon Pane in Hudson County, NJ
– Green onions from Phillips Farms in Hunterdon County, NJ
I found this recipe while browsing Pinterest, and while mine didn’t puff up nearly as beautifully as these, the tasty egg, bacon, and cheese mixture still seeped deep into the bread, making them wildly delicious.
This recipe is adapted from Spoon Fork Bacon. Makes 2:
– 2 mini sourdough baguettes
– 3 eggs
– 1/6 cup milk (I used 1%)
– 2-3 slices bacon, chopped and fried until crisp
– 1/6 to 1/4 cup (according to tastes) gruyere cheese
– 2 green onions, sliced
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut a deep “V” through the tops of each baguette until about a 1/2 inch to the bottom. Partially unstuff the baguettes. Discard (or save for croutons/bread crumbs!) the innards, set the carved baguettes aside.
3. Whisk the eggs and milk together in a medium mixing bowl. Mix in the remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
4. Divide and pour the mixture into each baguette boat and place onto a baking sheet.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes or until set in the center.
6. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, then slice, serve, and enjoy!